The first international “Libraries, Archives and Museums Conference (LAM), Montenegro, 2018” was held at the National Library of Montenegro “Đurđe Crnojević” in Cetinje on May 24 and 25.
During the two-day Conference, 33 participants from Montenegro and the region presented their works, and its goal was to point out possibilities of using new technologies in these areas in order to increase access to knowledge, develop new strategies and introduce new services in order to attract audience.
The secretary of the Ministry of Culture, Igor Vučinić, spoke at the opening of the Conference and said that organization of the Conference in the year of celebrating the European cultural heritage shows a high awareness of the need for improvement of these fields in accordance with the European guidelines for the cooperation of the relevant institutions.
Director of the National Library of Montenegro “Đurđe Crnojević”, Bogić Rakočević said that he looks at this event as a good basis for strengthening international cooperation and sharing experiences. The Director General of the National and University Library in Zagreb, Tatijana Petrić agreed and added that this Conference is an opportunity to open questions about the problems of librarians, archivists of museologists in the digital world, which was discussed during her presentation entitled “The Role of Archives, Libraries and Museums in Digital Society: Analysis of Laws and Rulebooks”.
The following conclusions and recommendations were adopted at the First International “Libraries, Archivists and Museums Conference (LAM), Montenegro, 2018”:
– In order to provide high-quality services, librarians, archivists, museologists, information experts and scientists must ensure several starting points:
The first is their experience, readiness, capability and knowledge, which includes good formal and informal education and development, and solid attention is paid to it in these fields.
The second base are the standards as instruments for implementing the quality of services and activities in general.
The third base are the socio-political structures or decision making institutions such as ministries and universities, institutions of whose capabilities, needs, interests, financing and in a word – will depend the first two bases.
– For librarians, archivists and museologists, it is important to develop new skills and abilities concerning the process of digitization, communication, and the ability of fast problem solving.
– Efficient management of information institutions requires a regular funding system.
– It is necessary that each institution keeps track of the number of users, borrowings, as well as their comments on the work and services of the institution that will serve them to analyze the work efficiency.
– It is necessary to work on the establishment of a national strategy – that is, to adopt a national strategy for the digitization of cultural heritage, gather digitization teams, establish coordination of digitization at the national level, monitor and engage in European and world projects, establish an operational center for the digitization of cultural assets of special importance, as well as to obtain adequate equipment.